Thursday, April 16, 2009

6-month check-up

Will and Kate went today for their 6 month check and they are doing great!!!! Kate is now weighing in at 13 lbs 7 oz. and is on the lower end of the chart, but on the chart, for children who are 6 months. Will is 12 lbs. 13. oz. And only his head is on the chart at about 50%, but they expect more from boys and their weight, so he is doing fine. He is starting to eat better and less spitting up, so I expect that he will surpass his sister soon.

Kate is going to get to try having some rice cereal. The criteria for trying is good weight gain and being able to hold their head steady while in the seated position. Kate is able to do this; however, we have to wait a little longer for Will, since he is still not as successful with holding up his head, for reasons mentioned previously. We think it will be good not to have to try feeding both at the same time anyway, so it works out just great!

And, as for the oxygen, their illnesses set them back about a month on their progress. So, Will is at .2 liters/min. and Kate is at .3 liters/min. However, last night, we did an oxygen challenge on Will and we think that he will be able to move to .1. He actually held his own with no oxygen for about 20 minutes with the cannula off of his face. That was the furthest either one has gotten on room air, so we were impressed. And I cried, because Will was so cute, I was so proud, and because he looked nothing like himself without the cannula on his face. 20 minutes and everything returned to normal and I breathed a sigh of relief. I have determined that when they are off of oxygen and the apnea monitors, I will have a few sleepless nights. Once Kate is 100% well, we will try to ween her down as well. Hopefully, next week.

They have both been evaluated for PT(physical), OT(occupational), and ST (speech). Appointments with PT and OT have now moved to every other week, because they see no concerns at this time and seem to be developing normally. For their motor skills, they are ranging from 4-6 months - higher than their gestational age (adjusted age) and just a little under their chronological age. And for speech and interaction, they are right on for a 6-month old. I am not surprised since their big brother was speaking in 3 word sentences at 14 months. They will be evaluated by speech again in July.

Keep checking for updates and sorry that it has taken us this long to include all of these big events.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom with 3 kids, one boy and twins (girl/boy) and an amazing supportive husband. My time without my kids is now spent cooking, working on my lamps(see Evolve It Lighting @ Facebook), partnering with a friend running our Amazon store (Crazy Bananas AZ), writing children's books and dabbling in interior design/refurbishing furniture with whoever will let me into their house. I am truly blessed and at a great turning point in my life!! Looking forward to what lies ahead.