Thursday, October 2, 2008

A little more news

I thought I would update this blog with all of the tests and information that I am getting on a regular basis. I keep having nothing to report, because I am remaining stable at the moment, so thought this would help us remember and explain some things to you guys.

So, we had an ultrasound the other day and they predicted the weight of the twins. Will weighed in at a whopping 1 lb. 10 oz. and Kate weighed in at 1 lb. 5 oz. She is so dainty compared to her brother. They will continue to look at their growth rate every 2 or 2 1/2 weeks from here on out.

They will also be doing ultrasounds on Mondays and Thursdays to look at the cord blood supply to make sure it is adequate for each twin. This ultrasound will also include a BPP or BioPhysical Profile, where they watch the babies each for up to 30 minutes and look at their heartbeat, breathing, and movement. I will have one of these some time today.

They also draw blood every 24 hours. Pre-eclampsia can affect your kidney functioning, liver enzymes, and platelet count. So these labs are drawn each day to determine how all of these things are functioning. With kidney functioning, they look at my uric acid and creatinine levels. At this time, my creatinine level remains the same from when this all began - slightly elevated for being pregnant, but no serious concern. My uric acid level has increased, so they will be looking at that closely. My liver enzymes are normal, and my platelet count, which was decreased, has now returned back to the normal range. They like to see your platelet count above 100, if not they considering delivering. At one point last week, my platelet count was down to 94 and they held out, thank goodness, and it is now at 193 (150 being normal).

Another thing that they look at is the amount of protein in my urine, which helps to let them know how my kidneys are functioning. So, once a week, I have to collect my urine for 24 hours (fun, fun, fun) and then they analyze the amount of protein that I am spilling. My first test indicated 600 mg (and this number is the one that made me remain in the hospital in the first place). About a week later it was at 660mg and then the most recent reading last week had gone up to 1800 mg. The doctors start getting concerned if the number is above 5000 mg. I will do this test again on Sat. and every Sat. as long as I am pregnant.

They also do non-stress testing on the babies twice a day. This is where they put them on a heart rate monitor, which can tell them how well the babies are doing depending on their heart rate. This is a taxing thing to do twice a day. First, you have to find both babies and their heart rate and then you have to keep them together for 20 minutes. Thankfully, the twenty minutes does not have to be consecutive, but at 25 weeks, the babies are so tiny and moving around, it is difficult to hold them on. It has taken up to 2 hours before. I am already learning what it will be like to have twins at home.

A list of other things that aren't tests but they look at are: vital signs (including blood pressure - which mine have been perfect for a week now), headaches, vision changes, swelling, change in babies movement, etc.

So, after that wealth of information, I am holding steady at this time, for the moment. I spoke with a doctor yesterday who really spelled it out for me when I asked him if I could go home on bedrest and he immediately said NO!!!! Understanding that preeclampsia is unpredictable, he gave me his professional opinion. I will be in the hospital until the babies are delivered. He would like to see me get to 32 weeks, but he does not expect that I will. He thinks right now I am still in the honeymoon period from the steroid injection they gave me 2 weeks ago to help the babies respiratory system develop faster to be more ready for delivery. He thinks now we will begin to see a decline and I will need to be watched closer. It is possible that the first sign of this decline is the recent elevation of uric acid in my blood, which is a loose indicator of kidney function.

I also asked about going back to Flagstaff at 28 weeks, because the NICU there can supposedly handle babies born after 28 weeks. However, Flagstaff does not have everything that the babies may need if they come early, so I think that we have decided to stay here in Phoenix for the duration. It will be harder on the family for now, but those several weeks are nothing compared to a lifetime of health benefits for Will and Kate.

So, here I sit in the hospital with frequent visits from my mom, Josh, Ben, and lots of wonderful friends.

Thanks as always for the well-wishes and prayers.

9 comments:

Chuck and Deb said...

Hang in there, Mary Hampton! You have a whole lot of people thinking about you and sending you positive thoughts! Love you all!

Kristen said...

Wow, I can't imagine how you must feel being monitored so closely and tested so often! I hope everything turns out well! Next time we're in Phoenix we'll plan on stopping by!

Alisha said...

Hi, Krissee Day gave me the link to your blog. I also had b/g twins in August, 3 days after the Daybies. I was in the hospital on bed rest from 30 weeks until 34 weeks then delivered at 36 weeks. My problems were much different than yours, but I feel for you & wanted to let you know that ya'll are in my prayers. I had the NST done 3 times a day for an hour & that is so hard! Of course, my babies were bigger so easier to find but I also did some time in the hospital at 23 weeks so I know what you mean about it being hard to find the babies & keep them on. I'm glad you have a computer, that really helped me. I also did Netflix & watched movies. I'm sure you have a lot of support but if you have any questions or need to vent, here's my email: saoldroyd@gmail.com. I really wish you the best & will be checking back to see how your babies are progressing. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Hey MH,
Glad to hear things have mellowed out, but I know being on bedrest is making you crazy!
I'm sending you lots of good thoughts. Let me know if y'all need help with the dogs, house, whatever.
Nicky

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary Hampton,
This is RuthAnne Belton. My husband, Allan and I attend St. Francis of Assisi in Chapin. I have known your parents since before you were born. We have been praying for you daily. Please give our love to your mom.
Love,
RuthAnne

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary Hampton! Mary How shared your news with us. Just wanted to let you know that we are praying for you. We look forward to hearing more good news. Hang in there, and know you have a lot of folks here in South Carolina thinking about you and your family! Love to you, Jenny Walker Buck

Susie said...

hey girl! thanks for the update. very helpful to understand everything! we are continuing to pray for all of you. thankful you have made it this far and pray the babies stay in there a few more weeks. hug ben for us. noah prayed for the babies the other night...it was very sweet. we love you.

natalie said...

Susie told us that you'd written a fabulous update that gave a great description of everything. Thanks for taking the time to do that. I think you clearly summed up your situation when you said, "These few weeks are nothing compared to a lifetime of health for Will and Kate." I can not imagine how taxing this time is for you (MH) as you are stuck in the hospital, as well as for Josh and Ben, who miss their wife and mother being at home with them.

I'm praying for you all and for the babies. That they will remain where they are, growing stronger with each passing day, and that your body can fight off the ill effects until the last possible momenty.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mary Hampton:

I know you don't know us but we live across the street from your parents in Chapin, SC. As a nurse practitioner at a local hospital I am very much aware of the challenges your family is facing but want to let you know that you have lots of people praying for the twins and your entire family. They truly are God's precious wonders. You even have people praying for you that you don't even know. Hope you continue to improve now that you are discharged and best wishes to your family. Odette and Mike Glover

About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom with 3 kids, one boy and twins (girl/boy) and an amazing supportive husband. My time without my kids is now spent cooking, working on my lamps(see Evolve It Lighting @ Facebook), partnering with a friend running our Amazon store (Crazy Bananas AZ), writing children's books and dabbling in interior design/refurbishing furniture with whoever will let me into their house. I am truly blessed and at a great turning point in my life!! Looking forward to what lies ahead.