Kate's surgery went well today, lasting probably all of 15 minutes, and successfully closing the 4 or 5mm duct between her pulmonary artery and aorta. However, while the surgery is over, her recovery will definitely take some time. She is being given pain medicine, which helps to keep her calm and comfortable, but it also causes her to rely heavily on the ventilator to help her breathe. That said, she is doing well and we are hopeful that within a few days she'll be back off the ventilator and holding her own.
Will had a good day today, graciously letting his sister have the spotlight. He is still on the CPAP scuba contraption but slowly coming down on his oxygen requirements. With luck he'll be back on the nasal cannula in the next day or two.
After MH, Ben, Kay, and I spent most of the day in the hospital we decided to spend a few hours late this afternoon at a local pumpkin patch with Ben and then headed to dinner out in honor of Kay's 60th b-day. This was a great time and I think both Ben and Kay enjoyed themselves. It was great for MH and I to watch Ben explore new things at the pumpkin patch. They had a petting zoo, a horse-drawn wagon ride, a hay maze, and he even took a pony ride. He never fails to amuse us with most things he says or does...he is definitely quite a character!
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Mary Hampton Lovekamp
- I am a stay-at-home mom with 3 kids, one boy and twins (girl/boy) and an amazing supportive husband. My time without my kids is now spent cooking, working on my lamps(see Evolve It Lighting @ Facebook), partnering with a friend running our Amazon store (Crazy Bananas AZ), writing children's books and dabbling in interior design/refurbishing furniture with whoever will let me into their house. I am truly blessed and at a great turning point in my life!! Looking forward to what lies ahead.

6 comments:
We're so thankful the surgery is over and went well. Love looking at all three of those sweet faces! Kate is a beauty and I think Will looks like Ben did as a newborn. Glad ya'll had some fun yesterday too. Thanks so much for the update & pictures; we're so anxious to see you soon!
Love to All,
Mom & Dad
So thrilled all went well with the surgery! Hope you have a quiet weekend of being together--hugs to you all!
Becky and Ralph
Thanks for the posts, love to you all! Thinking of you lots, Dena and David
I'm very happy to hear that the surgery went well. Helen and I are keeping you guys in our thoughts each day.
- Jason
Very glad that you guys have overcome one more obstacle and are moving forward again. Glad to see your smile faces in the pictures too. We'll keep our thoughts and prayers with you! -Lu & Chunling
How wonderful that the surgery went well. Hopefully this will be what Kate needs to get back to breathing on her own!
Post a Comment