Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Lovekamps grow

For those of you that don't know, Josh and I did another embryo transfer on April 25th, where they transferred 3 embryos. Since then, we have been patiently awaiting the answers to 2 questions: Are we pregnant and if so, with how many? So, we got the answer that we were indeed pregnant on May 5th and then we were still waiting for the answer to how many. That patience turned to anxiety when the doctor did some bloodwork and left a message that my HCG Level was "tremendous." I was 5 weeks, 6 days and they expect to see the level over 1000 and my level was a whopping 29,131. It has been a long five days since then with thoughts of multiples, conversion vans, house additions, etc. So today, at 6 weeks and 3 days, we went in for the ultrasound. We were both practicing a little labor breathing of nervousness until the sonographer confirmed that we are having twins. WE ARE THRILLED!!! Baby A and Baby B look great. Baby A is measuring 6 weeks, 2 days, and Baby B is measuring 6 weeks and 1 day. Also, both of their heart rates are at 117.


From what the doctor says, it does not seem that a twin pregnancy will be much different than a singleton. They still want me to get to 37 weeks and activity remains the same. However, a few things are different.
1. More monitoring, which don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. They will do an ultrasound at almost every visit,
because it is hard to tell the heartbeats apart with the Doppler. 2. My abdomen will measure full-term at around 6 months. So, I will continually have people asking me when I am going to deliver. Explains why my pants are too tight and my belly is poking out so early (see picture below).3. I can consume 500 more calories a day (explains the largeness) 4. The delivery will be a party. I will deliver in an operating room ("just in case") along with Josh, 2 obs, 2 pediatricians, 4 or more nurses, an anesthesiologist, and depending on how early, a neonatal doctor. Welcome to the family!!!


I told Ben today that we were going to have a baby. Well, let me preface this story with: This past weekend, we were going through pictures and found one of me at Christmas, pregnant with Ben, wearing a red shirt. Anyway, so I tell Ben today and ask him if he knows how many babies we are going to have. Ben typically answers "2" for everything. He wants 2 snacks, 2 pancakes, 2 toys, etc. So, I thought: This will be perfect, he will be so excited when he answers correctly. So, his eyes light up and he says, "Seven." Remember the stress I talked about earlier, I am so glad that we did not ask him early this week. He sits and thinks for a minute and says: "They're in your stomach?" "Yes." "You need to wear your red shirt." I didn't for the life of me know what he was talking about until I remembered the picture. Kids are so funny!! We have also asked him if he wants a brother or a sister. And Ben says, he wants a "Baby butter, peanut butter." But, I finally realized that he was mimicking the son of good friends of ours, who always talks about his baby "butter."

And people keep asking me how I am feeling and I feel pretty good. I have had some nausea, but not much and I am tired from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm. But, I am blessed for what appears to be pretty easy at this point. I will keep you updated.

Look for an update on June 9th or 10th after our next appointment. Hopefully that one will be a little more short and sweet.

6 comments:

Anne said...

Congrats, you guys! This is wonderful news!! Hope everything continues to go well and we will keep you in our prayers.
Anne Arrington and friends and family in Greenville, S. C.

Nicky said...

OMG! I am so excited! One for you and one for me! ;-) haha. Good job, mama!

Did you do your ultrasound at Dr. Troche's office? Was everyone just thrilled to death!?!

I left you a voicemail before I read this. Call me!! I miss you guys!

Much love, Nicky

Susie said...

welcome to the blog world!! i am so excited you started one! i was just thinking yesterday after we got off the phone that you needed one! yea! we are SO THRILLED for you! i cannot wait to meet these babies! wishing we lived closer.

love you all!

Mimi K said...

We are so-o-o-o excited about having twins in the family again.....it's been such a long time since your great granddad Hensdale was born a twin!!!! I always wanted to have twins!!! You and Josh did such a great job last time with Ben......can't wait to hold these little bundles !!!!!!
Love, Mimi

Elizabeth said...

MH, I am soo excited for you guys!!! Just last night I was asking Becca if she'd heard any "news" from yall. How ironic! Twins--what fun life will be! Our oldest, Kinsey's best friends are twin boys and we feel like they are part of our family. I'm so glad you're blogging and I can't wait to hear more news! Love, Elizabeth (EP)

natalie said...

I'm a friend of Susie and Joe's in Georgia. Just wanted to let you know how thrilled I am that you are expecting again! Best of luck to you!

About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom with 3 kids, one boy and twins (girl/boy) and an amazing supportive husband. My time without my kids is now spent cooking, working on my lamps(see Evolve It Lighting @ Facebook), partnering with a friend running our Amazon store (Crazy Bananas AZ), writing children's books and dabbling in interior design/refurbishing furniture with whoever will let me into their house. I am truly blessed and at a great turning point in my life!! Looking forward to what lies ahead.