Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Rollercoaster Ride Continues...

So, I'll start with the good. Kate is doing well with no significant changes. She remains on the nasal cannula and is growing stronger by the day. Today she pulled the cannula out of her nose at least 3 times and if I didn't know better I would think she'd be crawling in just a few more weeks. She is very active within the confinement of her little isolet and is constantly pushing up with her legs and turning her head from one side to the other.

Don't look at me, don't talk to me....I am not in the mood!!!

Will, on the other hand, took another step backwards today with a bout of lethargy and poor breathing that looks to be another bacterial infection. As a result, he was once again intubated and placed on the ventilator and his feeding was discontinued. He has also been put back on a few broad-spectrum antibiotics while we wait for culture results to both confirm the infection and identify the exact bug and the best drugs to fight it. These interventions seem to be doing their respective jobs and his demeanor, color, and blood gas results are all improving. That said, we are obviously very anxious for him to be back on the road to recovery and once again competing with his "big" sister for the first ticket out of the NyICU.
Thankfully, Gammi and Papa were here to see Will and Kate yesterday, when they were much more themselves and feeling good. In their short trip to Phoenix they have definitely seen both the ups and downs of the NyICU ride.
Please keep us all in your thoughts and prayers that Kate remain stable and growing daily and that Will continue to get stronger and fight off the new bug he's now acquired.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure Will's illness is a direct result of his Mimi being gone--I am sure he will perk right back up when she returns!

Continuing to pray for you all daily--ups and downs will come and go but Will and Kate will prevail as strong, healthy and precious children!

Hugs to you all!
Becky

Susie said...

just got off the phone with gammie and she filled us in on everything. definitely are praying for will's quick recovery and for kate to remain stable and strong.

wish we could be there with you. gammie says they are just perfect!

Anonymous said...

We can never tell you how much we appreciate your updates. So glad to hear that Kate is progressing so well, and we will be praying hard that Will can get rid of that bug real quick!! We love you all!
Margaret and Vaughn

Jim Lovekamp said...

What a thrill to finally meet Will and Kate; they are just beautiful, perfect little miracles. We'll be praying for Kate to stay strong and Will to beat this set-back and get back to growing and gaining. God willing, our next visit will be to your very 'full house' in Flagstaff. Josh & MH, you're doing an awesome job of balancing this stressful time with all of your other responsibilites; Ben remains a delight!

Will, staighten up ~ Mimi's back in town:)

Love to all,
Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

I hate not being there to give you all a big fat hug. We are thinking about you everyday. Love, love, love, Mary, Chris and Macy.

Wayne said...

Thinking of you all and sending hugs and love! We miss you guys terribly and cannot wait until you are all home! xoxooxoxo mja

Anonymous said...

Hi there, glad to see that for the most part everyone is doing well. I'm keeping you guys in my prayers. Thanks for posting the updates. Enjoyed the video of Ben (the other miracle baby). The twins are adorable! They're lucky to have such great parents. I can't imagine the stress you guys have been feeling. I'll keep checking in. God Bless!
Teresa Collins

About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom with 3 kids, one boy and twins (girl/boy) and an amazing supportive husband. My time without my kids is now spent cooking, working on my lamps(see Evolve It Lighting @ Facebook), partnering with a friend running our Amazon store (Crazy Bananas AZ), writing children's books and dabbling in interior design/refurbishing furniture with whoever will let me into their house. I am truly blessed and at a great turning point in my life!! Looking forward to what lies ahead.